Saturday, January 12, 2013

Chennai Ahoy!

Ch - en - nai!! 

Yes,  this is where I live as I write type this post today. Many friends shared their views on the city when they came to know that I would be/ am living here. Here are some of the most amazing things people had to say.


  • Being in Chennai is like saja-e-kalapani ( saja: punishment, Kalapani: a colonial era prison in India)
  • In Chennai, its either hot, hotter or hottest (with reference to the climate :P)
  • You will forget Hindi and begin speaking Tamil ( Credits: Stephen from A Solitary Writer. :D )
  • Intolerable humidity
  • Hours without electricity due to frequent power cuts 
  • In Chennai you don't get wet, you only sweat ( big LOL for this!!)
Huh!! So you can very well imagine/understand how skeptical I was about shifting/living here before I actually did ;) All said and done, its almost been 10 days here and believe me when I say, all my friends were TRUE but only partially! 


Now let me quash and put to rest all the myths that people have about this city. So here we go.

  • Saja-e-kalapani: 10 days is too early to comment on this one ;) :P
  • Chennai IS hot. If the winter temperature can go up to 30 degree Centigrade, then image what summers will be like!! I already imagine roasted chicken walking on Chennai roads this summer :D 
  • I never understand the language these auto-rickshaw walas here speak. Somebody said, "Tamil teri maa" and my North-Indian friends almost broke into a fight with him until somebody intervened, "Tamil teri maa means do you know Tamil?" :P  (For all those who din't get the joke here, "teri maa.." is used as a slang in North India. :D )
  • Humidity?? All's well as of now. Living in air-conditioned rooms does have its merits. :)
  • Power cuts are rampant. One has to get accustomed to 2 hours of power cut each day. Also, once every week or month there is power cut for 24 hours at a stretch. :O  Lord have mercy! Lord have mercy!
  • There is a shortage of water in Chennai but nobody I know of has had problems due to this. Most houses store water. The rest can be concluded from views above. :) 
I haven't been to the beaches which Chennai has many. To survive in Chennai one needs friends, and loads of them to have fun together. I have made a few and God is kind. Life has been good so far. Hoping to make the most of the rest of it. 

Much Love. Thanks for reading :)




5 comments:

  1. Why did you shift to Chennai re? I heard terrifying stories from Bangalore and Hyderabad friends about Chennai. Besides,I'm such a city soul that I won't be able to survive anywhere in India apart from Kolkata,Mumbai,Delhi and Bangalore. I always pick Kolkata because of other personal reasons but even if I have to move out permanently,it HAS TO be a big metro. But,having said that,cities like Chennai,Kozhikode,Lucknow,Jaipur have their own charm. If you can adjust,life can be pleasantly surprising. Take care. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chennai? What you're working for Cognizant or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. joined Accenture. Some comments for my post pls :)

      Delete
  3. Hei sweetie, thanx for dropping by :) I have joined Accenture here. There was a time when I used to have a list of preferences similar to yours. However, that happens to be history now. ;) I feel prepared to take on everything that life brings my way :) Much Love.

    P.S. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm .. So you are new here. (I am a Chennai native :D) Well, whatever your friends have told about Chennai is cent percent true, that always is the case with most of the outsiders, esp from north :P The only thing would keep you cool here is work (too early to judge now :D) and friends. If you got some amazing friends, then you wouldn't have much problem. Apart from that, you do have some places to hang out with. Life can be interesting, and not scary as notioned :) have a good time :)

    ReplyDelete