Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Welcome to the Future


It has been a tortuous climb. Thank God I could make it here! Yes, I believe in God, and its a good thing to believe in something, someone, somebody..it gives you hope. It makes you last, its makes you fight..until the victory is yours.

That was some insightful into the life I had been leading in the last few months. That very much explains my absence too. Thankfully its all over now and thoughts are streaming out of my mind as (best) they once did!

------

I met this guy at an interview the other day. He too happened to be a software engineer but had no technical knowledge. He was the kind of engineer who never attended classes in college and cleared semester exams with marginal marks, thanks to last minute studies. This was not surprising because more than 60% of the software engineers I have met till now belong to the same category. (More on this in future post/s)

What I actually found surprising was the fellows views on corruption and bribery. Well here was a young 20-something guy, the so-called "future" of my beloved India proclaiming quiet confidently that corruption was his birthright! All that he aimed for in life was a government job, not because he wanted to serve the country but because he all he wanted to do in the name of work was play cards.

"Paisa kamaana hai, par mehnat nai karni.. (I want to earn money but do not want to work hard)", said he with a sombre looking face. "Ek baar sarkari naukri lag jaaye bas...fir to table k upar taash aur niche paiso ki gaddi...(Once I get a government job, It will be cards above the table and money under it)", he added.

To speak the least, his thoughts left me aghast! Where is my country headed?! His thoughts worried me and his views left me perplexed. My bubble of belief that I belonged to an anti-corruption generation was suddenly burst, and how! 

The fact that he had already cleared first 2 rounds of the Staff Selection Commission exams and was waiting for the final interview scared me. What if he succeeded in his endeavors? What if he became a Central Excise Inspector, and Income Tax or a CBI Inspector?? I shuddered at the thought.

-----

This meeting has really got me thinking. I wonder how many more youths like him must exist. I then tried to trace the roots of this mentality that the guy so strongly adhered to. My search ended at his family. The fellow's father happened to be an officer at State Bank of India, a government body. According to him, his father had no much work at office and received innumerable free facilities from the government. Many of his relatives had government jobs too. So naturally conversation in the family always revolved around government jobs, which aunt took the highest amount as bribe, how a certain uncle had become a crorepati thanks to corruption, which cousin had no work pressure at office and lived a life of luxury, so on and so forth.

-----

I love my country. I am worried.

1 comment:

  1. Yes we have many such youth in our nation, who hardly care for the well being of country. but there are people like you and me also who are ready to take responsibilities.

    A very well written post...:-)

    ReplyDelete